Meet the team and follow our progress as we train for the ride...

Sunday 8 January 2012

Pneumatic Nightmares then the big one.

So after last weekends disasters I tried again. Same route yesterday. 20 miles to Normans bay and back. But guess what half way down Sluce lane thud ...thud...thud. You have got to be kidding. So off came the front wheel again. This bike has now spent more time on its back than Michael-Angelo painting the Sistine Chapel ceiling! Unfortunately in my rush to re insert the inner tube I had pinched it with the tyre lever. But it took several attempts at re inflation to discover my faux pas. Out came the tube again. Second repair, more haste less speed upon re insertion! I also notice the rear tryre was a little out of shape??
Off I pootled anxious that another 1 and 1/2 hour ride should not become another 4 hour drama, when 1 mile further on suddenly it got really hard to pedal and then BANG! literally. The rear tryre blew out. I though it didn't look right you know . If he face of the cyclist passing me in the other direction is anything to go by mine must have been a picture.
Good job every time I make my almost daily trip to Halfords for an inner tube I buy a spare and take it with me.. Ha Ha not as daft as I look eh??? Don't answer that.
I completed the rest of the ride and relaxed in preparation for this morning.
I attempted and completed my first 50 miler! 53 to be exact. (73 for the weekend!)What's more I only stopped once at about half way for a drink and a banana and some stretches. I actually completed it on the same two tubes and tyres I left on, the bike was never on it's back and it as just a smidge over 3 and 1/2 hours. But I can tell you that Standard Hill on the way back into the village at the end of a 50 mile ride is a KILLER.
Now if you'll excuse me I have a bath, a homedics massage machine and a couple of pints with my name on them!
Tomorrow rest day or gentle swim steam and Sauna at Mr B's...Let's see if we can move first eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment