Meet the team and follow our progress as we train for the ride...

Sunday 15 January 2012

Noooooo

I messed up last week. Having thought I'd cracked the 50, I checked my bike trip computer. Let's call it ....W.I.T.T. in the vein of knightrider's K.I.T.T. (Knight Industries Two Thousand) "Wok Industries Twenty -Twelve". Unfortunately WITT said that last Sunday's ride was only 36 miles. I checked the route I had planned on Google. I had overlapped a section when adding a destination in the wrong sequence. AArrgg. No wonder 50 miles had felt easy not to mention quick!.
So today I was determined. Vicky went to work, I walked the two older dogs round the woods for 3/4 of an hour as a bit of a warm up. Got home gave them their breakfast, had a bowl of shreddies filled my drink bottle and off I went. Up through the steep climbs of Netherfield, Dallington and Wood's Corner to Heathfield. (I suspect Cornwall will be much harder). By Heathfield despite the Climbs I was feeling really good. So instead of turning left down to Hellingly I carried on. Up to Cross in Hand and then Left to Lewes.I was starting to feel it a bit by Ringmer but instead of turning left for home I carried on to Lewes itself. Now if you Know Lewes you will know that their is a road tunnel through the south Downs to the coast road. Scarey!!!That's all.
On getting through the tunnel alive I decided to stop to celebrate with a stretch and a drink. Oh and a bana...na..? Ooops . "Yes we have no Bananas". O bum I forgot my nana. Still 20 odd miles from home and no fuel. No money either. So I trusted that the carbs in my energy drink would be enough. Nope.
Well I turned onto the coast road to Eastbourne. BLAST! I got hit full in the chest by a freezing cold headwind of probably 8-10mph. The last 20 miles home were pergatory.
I can tell you that 3 miles from home on nothing but a small bowl of shreddies every tiny little incline feels like Everest. My average speed dropped from 13 mph along the coast road to 10 and by the time I got to "Donkey banks" 3 miles from home 5mph.
Well home now. Bathed. My intercostals feel like they have been stretched to 3 times normal. My Asthmatic chest does not appreciate cold head-winds!
Nevertheles I have done 51.19 miles in 4 hours 59 minutes. I know that may not be fast or far for some of the fitter guys in the team but that's a significant goal for me. But it has been a serious lesson in refuelling. Especially if I have to do that twice a day!
Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment