Meet the team and follow our progress as we train for the ride...

Friday 19 August 2011

Cyclists are tiny

Well gradually getting myself kitted out. Got the bike. She is doing OK but I am having a couple of issues with the gear shift. There is a "shadow shift" on the high/low range derailer, I forgot this a couple of times this morning on the ride to work and the chain came off twice as I held the shift across too long I think. So slightly greasy fingers on arrival at Bannatyne's steam emporium.

The other day while contenplating my slightly sore ischial tuberosoties (bum bones) I decided that I needed to get some padded cycling shorts. Yup the full lycra, stand back this bloke looks like he knows what he's doing on a bike type shorts! So had a look on t'interweb, found Sports Direct.com with an up to 80% sale on cycling clothing. Fab.

So for a whole £61 I got 2 pairs XXL padded (ahhh) cycling shorts, 1 long and 1 short sleeved cycling jersy (XXL again), 1 pair cycling gloves as the hands are not liking the road vibrations; Which reminds me, shortly may follow my diary of what really hurts on a road bike. Rumble strips and level crossings are currently up there. And 1 pair of muddy fox cycling shoes with nuts on the soles for SPD cleats and everything. (The things that make you fall off sideways like a chopped down tree when you stop at traffic lights and can't get your feet out of the pedel clips quick enough....tiiimmmbeerrr.)

My package duely arrived and I unwrapped. Pleasantly I found a complementary tea mug with the Sports Direct logo on, presumably to celebrate completion of your more epic cycling victories with a large cuppa.

Excitedly I tried the shorts on. Tried.....and tried...and tried. The waistband on these things got halfway up my quads before jamming tight, leaving the tantalisingly soft looking padding hovering about 12 inches due South of where it needed to be. Remember these are XXL yeah right. I would hate to meet a small cysclist. I may need a scanning electron microscope to see him! So I tried the jerseys. Ever seen an overstuffed pillow or a Hippo in a tutu? Unfortunately again when ordering the clothing I had forgotten that cyclists are a collection of superhuman individuals with the torsos of Michaelangelo's David. They are plainly not for people who have been endulging in BGI (beer gut investment) for the last 10 years or so.

Ho Hum. My wife Vicky suggested that I keep the clothing as a goal, something to aim for. "You may get into them once you've done a few months training". The jerseys.... OK are a somewhat realistic goal. I may end up looking not too bad, I hope. But unless I take a saw and a spoke shave to my legs, I think I'll have to go with the website I found today. Yes you guessed it it's in the US and caters for the "larger" cyclist. Engraciatingly I am in the smallest shorts on their sizing guide. i.e. a REAL XXL. I await UPS with anticipation.

But I might just hang on to the others.....just in case?

No comments:

Post a Comment