Meet the team and follow our progress as we train for the ride...

Tuesday 16 August 2011

Airbourne?

Last week it was eastbourne airbourne. Basically a 4 day airshow with all sorts of military hardware and display teams performing over the sea in front of eastbourne.

This includes the legendary Red Arrows.

On Sunday I decided that in need of extending my range a bit, I would go and watch the Red arrows on my bike ....from Beachy Head.

I had planned to stay on the roads and make the 25 miles in a couple of hours. Unfortunately I decided half way that I would go up past the long man of Sussex in Lillingstone, up onto the South Downs way. Ooops.

After getting about 1/3 of the way up the shear chalk track I had to get off and push. I made it to the top still about 5 miles from Beachy to see the Reds in their characteristic diamond 9 formation go whizzing over my head. So I had unfortunately not made it in time.

To add insult to injury (nearly cardiac), I saw glimpses of coloured smoke over the cliffs whilst basically off roading across the downs whilst simultaneously getting lost!

Muddy and tired I emerged at the bottom of the hills in Jevington. Back on the road I cycled past Friston forest, but after all that, the hill climb from Friston and from east Dean to beachy were too much. I had to push again.

I eventually made it to the top. Got back on the bike and promptly scared myself stupid with the frighteningly steep descent. seems less scarey in the car I remebered thinking.

Aching, covered in mud and with nothing left in my legs I decided to stop at the surgery on the way back. Bad move. Whilst the 2 bottles of Powerade I got from the shop next door re fueled my legs, my backside was complaining bitterly when I got back on the bike.

It was a very slow 10 miles home.

I have now got my nice new bike from Halfords on the cycle to work scheme. A Carrera Virtuoso. So as a pure road bike I have every excuse not to repeat Sunday's idiocy. I took her for a 10 miler yesterday to get used to the set up. I think we'll get on well.

total miles this week so far 55.





No comments:

Post a Comment