Meet the team and follow our progress as we train for the ride...

Friday 16 March 2012

uh oh.....


So four days later and my wrist is still sore and now bruised. I wouldn't be overly concerned under normal circumstances but we have only 6 weeks to go and the training is supposed to be getting more intense, not less so. So I took myself to A&E this afternoon (for a 4 days old emergency, I know). Seems like Friday afternoon isn't a bad time to rock up as I was xrayed and discharged within an hour. Although the xray is all clear I'm not off the hook yet. My pain is over the scaphoid tubercle and this bone appears to be notoriously reluctant to reveal itself to be fractured so soon after an injury. They are therefore treating it as fractured (thankfully with a splint and not a cast) until proven otherwise with a follow up xray in 2 weeks.

So the indoor cycle trainer is going to be put to use over the next two weeks to keep the miles up without resting weight on my wrist. Those hills will just have to wait, and I will be waiting anxiously for the follow up. Worst case scenario will have them telling me they need to cast it for 6-8 weeks. I will be absolutely gutted if this is the case. I've been turning over in my head the option of trying to convince them to shorten the time in the cast and trying to cycle with a splint. The bottom line though is that I need my wrist back to normal function as soon as possible more because I'm a surgeon than a cyclist.

Fingers crossed it's going to be fine though....

2 comments:

  1. good luck with your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you keep up the training and I hope the results of the xrays show no problems. Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete