Meet the team and follow our progress as we train for the ride...

Monday 12 March 2012

Aches and pains!

We have a really detailed training schedule which I worked out months ago when this cycle seemed almost impossible. We've managed to keep to it on most weekends but my mid-week cycling has been interrupted by one pain or injury after another. At first it was my hands/wrists and seat but once my cycle position and new saddle were sorted I was back on track. In the past two weeks I started to get some lower back pain. A quick google search tells me that 30% of long distance cyclists get this problem. It just isn't natural to flex your hips and spine for long periods of time and expect them to take it. This weekend I started some stretches which I picked up on youtube and was amazed to feel my back pain disappear. These stretches are definitely going to be keeping me going from LE to JOG.

So I was feeling fantastic yesterday, the weather was beautiful and we were out for a long ride through various London parks. This all changed in one split second when I failed to prepare for a stop at some lights on the way up to Richmond Park and did the 'clipped-in sideways topple'. Most of the force of the fall was taken through my left hand and wrist and although the graze on my palm will heal quickly I'm a little concerned about the pain in my wrist. Once again I'm on forced rest this week and I'm keep the wrist still with a skaters wrist guard. The pain has lessened today so I don't think I'll need a trip to Casualty. I just hope I can get back on the bike by next weekend.

Paolo, who started this adventure from a point of zero exercise has taken it all in his stride. No injuries and he's wondering when it's going to start getting difficult. It makes me wonder why I left it till I was the wrong side of 35 before setting myself such an epic physical challenge??

No comments:

Post a Comment