Meet the team and follow our progress as we train for the ride...

Monday 26 March 2012

Luck....no!





Well this weekend has been a bit light on training. Last week I did about 95 in total with a 57 mile on Sunday. Saturday at work was busy and my Dad came down too so we were out for dinner Saturday night, Sunday morning I couldn't exactly leave guests to fend for themselves while I went out on the bike at silly O'Clock either. So I did a bit of maintenance on the bike.



My Gatorskins had arrived and I fitted "smart slime" filled tubes. This morning I knew the weather was going to be good so I decided to cycle to Rye harbour. Went through Battle and Hastings onto the Winchelsea road to Rye. A couple of eh shorter seeper hills were a bit unpleasant . Got to Rye and onto the Udimore road back towards Brede and Broadoak. There were some fantastic views out across the Marshes to the sea so I took a quick piccy on the phone.

I was loving the new gatorskins. Very smooth and feeling pretty secure on the puncture front. Got back to Battle and climbed through Wartling up Senlac hill. Out along North Trade road and made a fatal error. I decided to cut through Freckley Hollow to home. This road is very pretty but is is extremely uneven and in the bright sunshine despite sunglasses I managed not to avoid a pothole. THUD THUD THUD from under my saddle. OMG I don't beleave it. I stopped to pump the tyre up. I thought the slime would do its job plug the hole and off I go. But no. With the tyre still flat and slime oozing from the wheel rim I had to take it off.

It seems the tube had ben pinched so hard on the rim of the pothole that it had been mortally wounded with 2 parallel slits. As I pumpd I was forcing its green slimey blood from the holes. The other problem is that once the outside of teh tyre is coated with slime you can't get a puncure patch to stick! So out with the spare tube .

TBH its getting to the point when I will be glad when the ride is over. If only for the fact I am spending a small personal fortune on kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment