Meet the team and follow our progress as we train for the ride...

Tuesday 20 March 2012

Flat out

This weekend in Sussex was glorious. Sun beaming, blue skies, the daffodils and primroses glowing on the verges and baby bunnies running around all over the place.
I have been doing the same 8.5 mile lap around Ninfield for the last few weeks for fear of punctures and problems. This way I am never too far from home. But its boring. So on Sunday I decided to venture further again.
I decided to do my Lewes/Heathfield ride but backwards. I had a patient in all weekend with a pyothorax and an in-dwelling chest drain which needed regular draining. So this was a good reason to get up early. I set off at 6.30 and got to the surgery. Drained Star's chest and did her checks and meds before the surgery opened at 10.30. She was looking much better and I only got 20 mls this time.
Off I went through hampden Park out towards the A27. It was a lovely time to be out although the smell of takeaways and stale beer was a little too strong at times through town. The results of a good saturday night out for someone. The A27 was providing some great views of the south Downs. The climb up to Lewes from the Beddingham roundabout started well. There is a cycle path all the way up on a pavement. Sounds great but unfortunately it is littered with stones and debris flicked onto it from the road. I then had another firefox moment. No sooner had I thought "you'll be lucky to get up here without getting a punct".....THUD THUD THUD. I am going to have to check my helmet. I'm sure someone has secretly fitted a Russian supercomputer and connected it to my thought patterns and my bike!
I now carry a spare tube so I didn't mess about fixing the puncture I just replaced the tube.
Off I went again over the brow of the hill. Then a slight heart stopper of a moment. I pulled on the brake lever and nothing happened. Eventually the brake engaged. I guess it was moved slightly when changing the tube. Phew.
Off through Lewes. Then a choice. Turn right and do a shorter ride or carry on towards Uckfield. Straight on it was. Along towards Little Horstead. The road surface on the hill there is full of large cracks which you really don't want to get a wheel stuck in as they act like some sort of maligmant monorail and try to steer you into traffic. The other problem is when you hit a large crack at speed it does nothing good for your tyres. You guessed it on the A22 just past the National Golf course and THUD THUD THUD. This time I had no choice but to fix the puncture. So I decided to take a short break and have my banana. I have also fitted a second drinks bottle holder which I would be glad of later on.
Puncture repaired and off again. Now at the Halland roundabout I have another choice. Straight on to Hellingly/Hurstmonceux or left to Heathfield.....Left it was.
I had ridden this route the other way round before an somehow failed to notice the the hill up to Blackboys is very long and a real grind. Probably as I was coasting down it in that direction! I eventually got to Heathfield and the legs were feeling it now. So had a drink stop and got a couple of Go gel sachets onboard. I also phoned the surgery to see how Star was doing. Now eating and looking much happier!
Heathfield high street and just starting the climb up to the crossroads and THUD THUD THUD. You have got to be kidding! Off with the wheel again. I was getting a bit cross by now. Which was to be my undoing. Wheel back on, and withing 5 minutes ....THUD THUD THUD. AAArrrggghhh.
So pulled onto the garage foecourt, luckily old abandoned garage so quiet. Its seems that in my haste to get going again last time I had missed the puncture on the otherside of the tube. So patched it and pumped the tyre back up. But it was not holding air......double aaaarrrgggh. Back off again. In rushing I had made a school boy error. It seems I had pinched the tube with a tyre lever (I could see the mark) and punctured it myself. Patched that being very careful this time and got under way.
Now we come to the tough bit. 40 miles done and facing the lumpy bit. The reason for doing the ride this way was a bit of a test. I usually do the hills round Dallington and Woods Corner first but I wanted to see if I could handle them tired. Answer....not quite. The thought of the climb from Earl's down to Dallington was more than I could handle so I decided to try and bypass it. Turned off to Waldren and Rushlake Green. Unfortunately I don't know the back roads very well round there. So after 3 miles of tiny lanes I arrived in Earl's Down at the bottom of the flippin hill!. I made it about 3/4 of the way up. But lungs burning legs burning and head spinning grinding in Granny gear and seemingly not moving, I had to admit defeat about 50 yards from the top. I did the push of shame to the top where I frankly nearly collapsed. I was now very glad of the second drinks bottle! Netherfield hill was still to come so I bravely bottled it and went to Ashburnham via Pont's Green. But I had forgotten that Ashburnham is at the bottom of a hill climb up to north Trade Road and nearly home. I was determined to do this one. I engaged granny gear and started. This hill starts a bit less steep, but doesn't finish that way. But it is a bit shorter. I made it!
Turned left and made for Freckley Hollow. It was all a bit of a blur now and I was suffering what cyclists refer to as "the knock". This is when all the energy reserves in your body seem to vanish in 2 seconds flat and there is just nothing left, and there were no drinks bananas or go gels left either. So the last mile home was a very long one spent rueing the descision to venture further from the village.
It was now 2.30 pm. I had cover 57 miles but spent probably an hour fixing punctures.
Yesterday's recovery ride was consequently only 10 miles, and consisted of cycling to Halfords. I bought 2 standard tubes and 2 slime filled self healing tubes, which I am going to fit to the now ordered, Kevlar lined gatorskins. Hopefully slime filled bullet-proof tyres will make for less time spent off the bike with it upside down.
And if you're wondering Star was discharged yesterday doing extremely well.

1 comment:

  1. yoyo, slime and gator skin is my combo ... so far so good! 6 months london streets (avoiding glass) no puncture.

    ReplyDelete