Meet the team and follow our progress as we train for the ride...

Monday 26 September 2011

White knuckle ride

On Saturday I decided to go for a more substantial ride. Before I left I checked the bike to find that the tyres were going a bit soft. So I got my pump out and inflated the tyres as far as I could. This would also hopefully reduce friction and increase speed.





I did the usual weekend route; Netherfield, Heathfield,Horam,Polegate but added an extra bit. Instead of coming back through Hooe I carried on to Bexhill and came back through Sidley. That was a total of 45.2 miles and in just over 3 hours. Could have knocked off 5 minutes as I had to stop for an "Gentleman's adjustment break".





That is the longest training ride I have done so far on the road bike. The last 5 miles were pretty horrible and slow. I was more than a bit "jelly-legged" at the end of it. I have to say that I am starting to question whether I am going to be up to this. We will be doing 70-80 miles a day, that's twice what I did on Saturday and yeah OK I did it in 3 so 80 should be possible in 6 hours right?? But every day for 2 weeks.....wow. I am also more than a little worried about the fund raising side of things as that is not exactly flying at Eastbourne. I'm getting lots of people asking how the training is going but not as many actually donating. I will not be able to finance this personally so I am worried I may have to pull out if things don't pick up.





The extra air in the tyres may have helped with the speed and friction but it does nothing for the list of things that hurt on a road bike. Basically everything when your tyres are blown up so you can feel every bump. I have to say that it's not the seat that suffers the most either. Lord know's I have enough natural padding. It's the hands and arms. The vibrations through the hands and arms are something to atch for. White knuckle disease is a distinct posibility and I kind of need my fingers to operate and stuff! So I have bought some padded handle bar tape and added and extra layer. We'll see if that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment